Culturally defined relationships between individuals who are commonly thought of as having family ties, it can either be culturally constructed or biologically defined.
- Consanguineal kinship : people on both sides of family related by blood.
- example – “aunts”, “uncles”, “brothers”, “sisters”.
- Affinal kinship: people who are related through marriage.
- example- husband, wife, in – laws
- Fictive kinship: patterned on kin-like relations but not actually based upon blood or marriage.
- example Godparents/coparents , Adoption